Women make up more than a third of the self-employed, and they launch businesses at double the rate of men.
In 2011, 5.6% of employed women were self-employed compared with 8% of men. In the last 40 years, the percentage of self-employed women has risen while the percentage of men has slightly fallen.
Many of the occupations we've listed with significant numbers of self-employed also contain large percentages of women. For example:
- Management, professional, and related occupations: 50%
- Computer and information systems managers: 31%
- Farmers and Ranchers: 25%
- Property, real estate, and community association managers: 49%
- Artists: 50%
- Writers and authors: 55%
- Advertising sales agents: 49%